Network connectivity speed.. Help please..

Network connectivity speed.. Help please..

Postby sansu » 28 Feb 2011, 22:55

Hi,

I posted this question in Asus forum but didn't get any response there. I am hoping that the linux gurus in this forum could help me in identifying the problem.

Setup: Asus Oplay R1.
Firmware: Latest HD2 1.12.06 rev3.1 from this site.
Network: Wired network using Powerline Adapter.

First I tested the powerline adapter by connecting 2 Windows Vista machines and did an ftp transfer. The throughtput was consistent 64mbps (went up to 80-90 for few seconds). Once the testing is done, I switched one end of the connection to Asus Oplay (only the connection end point is switched, the power outlet is same). When I used the original R1 FW (1.33), it reported the network connectivity at around 20mbps only (HD2 does not have that feature). Once the box is upgraded to HD2, I tried ftp from Windows box to OPlay (usb Harddrive). The throughtput was 30-35mbps only. It is causing freezing issue in high quality videos.

Is this the known problem with Asus OPlay (lowering the network throughtput)? If not, can some linux gurus please guide me in fine tuning the network connectivity between the linux and windows server? I turned off the autotuneup in vista but still the same effect. I know asus NIC is 100mbps only but will upgrading my other network points to 1Gbps help in anyway?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
sansu

Return to About Asus O!Play