first impressions - O!Play R1 and amp_r8_pohd

first impressions - O!Play R1 and amp_r8_pohd

Postby kabloona » 20 Oct 2012, 01:59

Hi, there.

Just received my O!Play HDP-R1 three days ago and installed amp_R8_pohd pretty much the same day I got it delivered in the mail. Updating the firmware was a breeze, just did it straight from the menu off a USB stick.

So far the O!Play looks pretty interesting although in an A/B test (HDMI input to LG 47LW5000 led TV) my old EGreat M34a (Syabas flashed to Popcorn Hour PCH-100 firmware) appears to have a sharper picture than the Asus. But maybe I need to play around with the video settings on the O!Play a bit more...

I made up a bunch of moviesheets and thumbnails for the content I have on my NAS (thanks momp645) using thumbgen, although it doesn't seem to work very well for TV series like Justified or Homeland. Nothing to scrape for Planet Dinosaur BBC, either.....

:|

While browsing the thumbnails/moviesheets the unit will occasionally reboot to the ASUS screen, so there is still a bit of instability with the firmware. I haven't figured out how to browse moviesheets and/or thumbnails and launch the movie that way, I guess I will have to reprogram the remote using IRfake.

The only moServices I've enabled so far is the YouTube function (working), but it's still early days. I will try getting the IPTV and some RSS feeds working, that might be a nice feature to have.

Thanks to farvoice and others for all the development work. So far it's looking like a great $40 investment off eBay.....

:D
ASUS O!PLay HDP-R1
bootcode 23, firmware amp_r8_pohd7317
kabloona

Re: first impressions - O!Play R1 and amp_r8_pohd

Postby kabloona » 20 Oct 2012, 03:26

Update #1:

I went into moServices ---> IRFake, entered the line of code to change ZOOM = SLOW and it works perfectly.

Browse the thumbnails, hit the "SLOW" button, the moviesheet comes up, you read the info, hit "PLAY" and movie starts going....

Nice.

:)
ASUS O!PLay HDP-R1
kabloona

Postby mking » 26 Oct 2012, 03:08

Hi how did you get Youtube to work? I installed AMP R8 Pohd 2 days ago. When I go to Internet Media then to Online Media then I see 9 'thumbnails'. 1 is Youtube. But when wanting to PLAY a 'movie/clip/video' it says something like 'Can't play...' then it tries to play the other video's automatically but you understand...it can't play them. So strange why it CAN play at your side. Can you explain perhaps.

And by the way: when YOU go to webUI can you install the things there? Because when I click on like install RSSex 2.0.xxxx it does NOTHING. When I read log it gives some error about http://www.moservices.org...XXXXXX failed to download....

But when copy-pasting the link for the RSSex (as it shows in the LOG) my PC can download that file. So now I have rssex2.tar.bz2 file on my desktop...
Asus O'Play HDP-R1 v.7317
mking

Postby kabloona » 26 Oct 2012, 11:18

Hi, there. I haven't gotten around to the RSS thing yet.....doing some other things right now.

Regarding YouTube, you are correct that the nice interface for YouTube located under "Online Media" doesn't work...just gives the message "cannot play media file"...

:cry:

I do this instead:

Go to: Internet Media ---> under "Main Menu" I see "Online Media" (choose this for the Flickr, Picasa, MediaFly, etc. this is where the nice YouTube screen is but as you know, that one doesn't work properly), "Services", "Skin Selector" and 'YouTube" ---> I select "YouTube" from this screen.

Now you will see a Screen labelled "YouTube - Most recent (page 1 from 7)"..... then hit the "rewind" button on the Asus remote, it will bring up the menu on the left side of the screen; now you can select "Categories", "top Rated" , "Top favorites", "Most popular" "Search", "Settings", etc....

Under settings you choose your region and quality - for instance, I chose "Canada" and "high quality". It's a little clunky but it works..... too bad the nicer menu system doesn't work.

;)
ASUS O!PLay HDP-R1
kabloona

Postby mking » 26 Oct 2012, 17:52

Hi, how do you SEARCH in the 'chunky' Youtube? Because I can enter what I search for but then you have to ''press'' some button (let say like ENTER) but I don't know which button that is on the remote. I have R1 with original remote. I have gone back to 'original' Asus skin. It is the most easiest one (for noobs) Because not myself but an uncle of mine will use the device for some time.

I myself can work with the 7317 skin (even though the remote buttons are not according the skin) but I can see that my uncle will have problems with that.

But I didn't figure out what the ENTER button is (to initiate the search) after I have entered the searchentry in 'chuncky' Youtube.
Asus O'Play HDP-R1 v.7317
mking

Postby kabloona » 27 Oct 2012, 02:53

For YouTube search function:

When you bring up the menu on the left hand side of the screen, hit the "ok" button on the ASUS remote. Scroll down to `search`with the down arrow. Hit the OK button and it brings up a`keyboard-english` screen.....shows a QWERTY keyboard on the TV screen. Enter your search keyword and then press the play button....

Or you could use the web remote feature, but that probably won`t work out too well for your Uncle.

:D

I`m still using the default skin, which looks like HD2 although I guess it`s supposed to be POHD. I`m debating whether to stick with this firmware or just go back to something really, really simple....because like you I`m probably going to be handing the unit off to somebody who isn`t very good at troubleshooting technology. I like using the moviesheets, though....

I need it to be idiot proof, basically....

:lol:
ASUS O!PLay HDP-R1
kabloona

Return to About Asus O!Play