WiFi setup blue's

WiFi setup blue's

Postby scaprile » 02 Sep 2012, 02:04

Hi everyone, hope this is not already answered, but after browsing 10 pages of subjects and trying some search, couldn't get to any help.

I've just flashed an AMP r8 fw to my HDP-R3, and need to setup the WiFi.
First topic: my SSID is not being broadcasted (hidden SSID). How can I manually set up an SSID ? (I'm momentarily broadcasting my SSID so I can see my network)
Second topic: My Access Point has its web key entered in hex, so I need to enter my WEP key in hex in all my devices. How can I do this ? I've already tried the setup screen, since it has text input capabilities, I guess it is for text keys. Sorry, can't do this, must be hex (64-bit key)

I can plug a patchcord and telnet to the device if necessary, but would rather set it up the dumb user way, for "physical" reasons.

Thanks.
HDP-R3 AMP r8 HD2 skin
scaprile

Re: WiFi setup blue's

Postby scaprile » 02 Sep 2012, 10:03

Update:
I couldn't wait, so I've telnet in and manually configured the interface while doing it on the setup screen. I've also downloaded the R3 and the PlayON skins for this .

With R3 UN 123 skin, I can manually setup the wifi network (as I did before with "standard" firmware") and it starts OK when powered on
With PlayOn 7.4.6 skin, I can setup the network only if the SSID is not hidden, and it starts OK as long as the SSID is not hidden.
With HD2 skin, I have to manually start the wifi network in the setup screen, and 2 seconds after that issue a iwconfig wlan0 with wep key and ssid via telnet, otherwise wifi won't come up. I've noticed the "wifi module inserted" on startup, so I've tried with an SD card inserted looking for some magical USB solution (as in PlayOn?). Nope. Every time the net goes down, I have to issue the telnet command again (after enabling on setup screen).

I would like, at least, to be able to modify some magic file so wifi starts at power on with HD2 skin, and preferably retries if the net goes off. The PlayOn skin is sloooooooooooooow when compared to HD2, which btw is GREAT. I know Linux, but this box puzzles me...
HDP-R3 AMP r8 HD2 skin
scaprile

Return to About Asus O!Play