Amp R8 HD2 with 3tb HDD??

Amp R8 HD2 with 3tb HDD??

Postby jaumy » 11 Jun 2012, 18:19

Hi friends,
I was using fw Amp r8 HD2 with 1tb HDD and I like very much this custom firmware.
I bought a 3tb HDD because I need more capacity and this firmware does not recognize 3tb HDD, I format 3tb HDD with windows 7 but my asus hd2 does not recognize with Amp R8 HD2.
Actually Im using original firmware 2.04 because recognize 3tb HDD, but I like more custom firmware Amp R8 HD2.

Somebody knows if I could use Amp R8 HD2 or another custom firmware with 3tb HDD?? How can I do?? If there is any versión of custom firmware that accept 3tb HDD somebody could send me link for download??

Im sorry for my regular english and Im sorry if my ask it is answered in another post, Im reading several post but I dont quite understand.
Please if somebody help me I will be grateful if he writes with easy vocabulary.

Thank you very much for help me.
Asus Oplay HD2 - FW amp r8 pohd
jaumy

Re: Amp R8 HD2 with 3tb HDD??

Postby opengt » 03 Aug 2012, 20:59

The same problem here :cry:
I've a O!Play HDP R1 with last oficial firmware (1.41P) and it says 'Device not supported'.
With Amp R8, the hard disk is not displayed.

The hard disk is plugged in a Sharkoon bay, conected to O!Play throught e-sata. All other drives (1 or 2Tb) works fine by this way.
opengt

Postby dex » 11 Sep 2012, 15:07

Hello,

There exist Sharkoon bay and other vendors HHD bay's based on ASMEDIA "asm1051" chip.
If your Sharkoon bay have this one then go to:

http://station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm and get flasher and firmware for asm1051:

(Note: archives are ".exe" so be sure to scan against viruses first!)

Link for flasher:
http://station-drivers.com/telechargement/asmedia/1051/MPTools_1.07.1v(www.station-drivers.com).exe
Run to unpack.

Now get firmware for 1051 "Support 3TB HDD".

Link for firmware:
http://station-drivers.com/telechargement/asmedia/1051/firmware_alls(www.station-drivers.com).exe

Run to unpack and use "101026_00_68_00.bin"

Run flasher MPtool.exe , click on "Unlock MP tool" and type "asmedia" (without "").
Connect your HDD bay and if everything is ok there will be some data for VID, PID, firmware version, etc.
On "Device Function" window be sure that ONLY "Update FW" ARE CHECKED!!!
Now in "Device Firmware" window click on "FW Brows" and find "101026_00_68_00.bin" file.
Now press "Start" button and wait for end of flashing.
When it is done, remove usb cable and unplug HDD bay from power. Plug again to power and usb. And if everything OK
your HDD bay will be recognized.

But this special firmware change sector size of your >2TB hdd from 512 bytes to 4Kb and have to be initialized.
For that, best solution is to get "GPARTED live linux image". Burn to CD and reboot your PC.
Once started, select you HDD in HDD bay. Initialize drive using "GPT"!!! Now format that partition with "NTFS", set some label and that is it!!!. Also you can use Windows 7 to do same (Find on net how to create GPT drive on win7).

It is tested with amp r8 oplay version with WD30EZRX.

Good is that it will work on OPLAY, Linux, Win 7(vista?) and it works on XP!!! without any GPT driver!!!
Bad is if you remove HDD from that HDD bay and try to directly connect via sata to PC or to use in other HDD bay that
not have firmware which convert 512b to 4k size sector, hard will not be usable unless you reformat it.

Dex
dex

Postby jaumy » 12 Sep 2012, 18:32

Wuoou, thank you very much for solution.
Now I have a question, can I make this with archives in my hdd?? Can be dangerous for lose hdd content???
I have more than 2gb in hdd and I dont like lose this.

Thank you very much.
Asus Oplay HD2 - FW amp r8 pohd
jaumy

Postby dex » 13 Sep 2012, 13:18

If you have HDD drive 2TB or less with data on it, you can use it with this firmware without any problem sice it will convert only HDD drives bigger than 2TB to 4K sector.
BUT if you have drive bigger than 2TB with some data on it, there can be two cases:
First one that your hard is already 4K sector size. I don't have one to test it but there is chance that it will work OK and without formating drive!!??
Second case that your drive is 512b sector size and your drive MUST to be formated in which case data on that disc will be lost,
so, you MUST backup that data before formating HDD drive.

Anyway. you can do this:
Write firmware from my first post to HDD bay without HDD inside!
Disconnect HDD bay.
Power-OFF HDD bay.
Run GPARTED live Linux distribution. Insert your drive to HDD bay. Power ON HDD bay. Wait for drive to spin on and
connect HDD bay by USB to PC.
Refresh or restart GPARTED aplication. Select your drive and if GPARTED report any error then you will NEED to backup
data and format drive.
But if GPARTED show no error on drive. try to browse files on that drive especially READ last one that is stored on it.
If everything works ok than that is it, otherwise you have to backup data first and to format drive.

In case that you MUST to backup data from drive before format, you can connect drive directly via SATA to PC
(or write OLD firmaware to HDD bay) and make backup.
NOTE: If your drive have some data on it and you use firmware from my first post since HDD have different sector size
files can be not readable but are still there!
dex

Return to About Asus O!Play