Upgrade bootcode without cable (R1/R3 and HD2 players)

Re: Upgrade bootcode without cable (R1/R3 and HD2 players)

Postby Chris » 21 Jul 2012, 17:16

Okay, guys. So, like a *MORON*, I ASSumed that my father's SXRD TV was a multisystem because, hey, it's pretty new, right? Yeah. That worked out well. So now my father thinks I'm an a-hole because for all intensive purposes, I bricked his r1, after upgrading the bootcode--which, by the way, apparently went smoothly. The problem is, the screen flashes an 'unrecognizable signal' error (the PAL signal, I presume), but I can't telnet into the box any more, and I tried doing the emergency flash (power off, hold down reset, turn back on with firmware on usb), which doesn't do anything. Also, the unit doesn't respond to the power off command from the unit.

My initial question is, is there some sort of menu that pops up after flashing the bootcode update, which locks out all other controls? (In other words, if I could actually see what was going on, would I not be panicking?)

A secondary objective, of course, is to scream "Help!", and ask for all sorts of advice on getting this thing back to functionality.

Any help appreciated. I'll even be reasonably good-natured about ID10T comments.
Chris

Postby john3voltas » 21 Jul 2012, 17:58

Hi Chris.
Wish I could help you.
I'm afraid you will have to wait for Farvoice to come in here.
Hope you can unbrick it.
Just a piece of advise.
Your unit may have gone to factory defaults. If so, maybe the IP has gone to defaults too.
Try changing your computer's IP address to 192.168.0.100 and then try to ping 192.168.0.9.
If it responds, try "telnet 192.168.0.9". Use user 'root' without password.
If all this succeeds, your player isn't bricked. It's simply on a different TV system.
Unfortunately I don't know how to get it out of the wrong system.
So Farvoice is your best hope.
Cheers
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby Chris » 22 Jul 2012, 20:37

Thanks for the suggestion, man. I'm actually out of state right now, so I can certainly wait for Farvoice to chime in. I'm hoping you're right about it resetting to factory defaults, because a) that makes sense, and b) well, I like talking to my Dad! The only thing that has me nervous is the fact that it won't respond to the remote control, but again, maybe there's some initial set up screen. I ordered an HDMI - DVI adapter, as I'm under the impression that I'll at least get a useable image on a computer monitor for PAL. Watch me be wrong on that one, too. I'll certainly try the telnet suggestion when I get back. Cheers!
Chris

Postby FarVoice » 23 Jul 2012, 21:35

Just plug tv via analog video and set the right video settings. Then [plug via hdmi.
ASUS O!Play R1 (amp_r12_vrtn), xTreamer Pro (amp_r12_vrt), xTreamer Prodigy (iNeXT 2.14 r2), IconBIT HDR12L (amp_r12_vrt), 3Q F425HW (xds42gl_7725_r3), MyGica A11 (mygica_m3_20121222)
FarVoice
Администратор

Postby Chris » 25 Jul 2012, 05:53

I'll give that a shot, thanks! I wasn't aware that the composite cable would work. I'll let you know of my successes or failures!
Chris

Postby Chris » 30 Jul 2012, 17:21

Hi guys, just wanted to update my success, in case it helps anyone down the road. This is for the HDP-R1, but probably works for the R3, too.

To recap, I'm in the U.S., so the problem with the bootcode update is that it changes the firmware to a PAL output. My (Dad's) tv isn't a multi-system, so I couldn't see anything. It had been suggested that I use the composite connection, but that didn't work. Further research indicates that composite transmits a PAL or NTSC signal, so that makes sense. However, hooking it up to a PC monitor with an HDMI/DVI adapater did the trick.

The irony, of course, is that the solution ended up being something that I could have done even without the monitor. Basically, if you flash the bootcode update, you'll see the normal progress while it's updating the firmware (blue screen, big goofy green letters). When it reboots, you won't have a signal. This is because the new firmware needs to have its screen set to 720 or 1080 or whatever you're using.

The good news, however, at least for those moving on to the AMP r(8) firmware, is that you don't need to dick around with a monitor. Simply use the emergency reset/flash function, which has been misreported elsewhere. Basically, take your thumb drive and put the new AMP firmware on it. Stick it in the O! Player. Then, use a bent paperclip or similar to hit the reset switch. While holding that down, unplug the power. Then plug the power back in. Wait a second or two, and then you can release the reset switch. Lights will flash. Nothing will seem to happen for a while, but then the PlayOn firmware will be flashed, it will load up, and all will be well, and your father will no longer think you're a complete douchebag. Unless you actually are one, in which case further steps in that regard might be required to change his opinion.

The reason you don't need the monitor is that the PlayOn firmware has an HDMI auto-detect function. You might get some graphical corruption the first time, if it's switching to an already on tv, or you had your hdmi plug out and just plugged it in, but a reboot will sort that. Hell, cycling power on your tv might work, for all I know. Point is, nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps someone else who was sweating the fact that they might have bricked their (or someone else's) box.
Chris

Postby ak70 » 27 Sep 2012, 00:24

Hi, have bricked hd2, tried reset method with original firmware HD2_FW_205 on various usb sticks. Worked fine on fw203 from asus website until I tried to update firmware to 205 from the same website.

I have broken/beaten boot from what I have read on this website. I have tried the upgrade without cable, but I never made a note of ip address of oplayer or bootcode.

Tried using telnet by changing computer ip to 192.168.0.1 and connecting to oplayer by using 192.168.0.9, tried variations of ip addresses, but telnet cannot connect to the oplayer.

All I see when connect hd2 to tv is the black screen 'update ..., it takes a few seconds' message.

Can anyone please help. Thank you.
ASUS O!PLAY HD2/1A
Bootcode 26 for Asus O!Play HD2
FW amp_r8_hd2
ak70

Postby FarVoice » 27 Sep 2012, 01:02

ak70 wrote:Hi, have bricked hd2, tried reset method with original firmware HD2_FW_205 on various usb sticks. Worked fine on fw203 from asus website until I tried to update firmware to 205 from the same website.

I have broken/beaten boot from what I have read on this website. I have tried the upgrade without cable, but I never made a note of ip address of oplayer or bootcode.

Tried using telnet by changing computer ip to 192.168.0.1 and connecting to oplayer by using 192.168.0.9, tried variations of ip addresses, but telnet cannot connect to the oplayer.

All I see when connect hd2 to tv is the black screen 'update ..., it takes a few seconds' message.

Can anyone please help. Thank you.

You have to buy a serial cable and restore bootcode as viewtopic.php?f=12&t=78
Sorry, but your player hasn't FW and only beaten bootcode.
ASUS O!Play R1 (amp_r12_vrtn), xTreamer Pro (amp_r12_vrt), xTreamer Prodigy (iNeXT 2.14 r2), IconBIT HDR12L (amp_r12_vrt), 3Q F425HW (xds42gl_7725_r3), MyGica A11 (mygica_m3_20121222)
FarVoice
Администратор

Postby IWannaLearn » 27 Sep 2012, 20:05

Chris wrote:Hi guys, just wanted to update my success, in case it helps anyone down the road. This is for the HDP-R1, but probably works for the R3, too.

The good news, however, at least for those moving on to the AMP r(8) firmware, is that you don't need to dick around with a monitor. Simply use the emergency reset/flash function, which has been misreported elsewhere. Basically, take your thumb drive and put the new AMP firmware on it. Stick it in the O! Player. Then, use a bent paperclip or similar to hit the reset switch. While holding that down, unplug the power. Then plug the power back in. Wait a second or two, and then you can release the reset switch. Lights will flash. Nothing will seem to happen for a while, but then the PlayOn firmware will be flashed, it will load up, and all will be well, and your father will no longer think you're a complete douchebag. Unless you actually are one, in which case further steps in that regard might be required to change his opinion.

Hope this helps someone else who was sweating the fact that they might have bricked their (or someone else's) box.

Chris, I thank God you're one smart dude because I'm the man down the road. Thanks for your guidance.
IWannaLearn

Postby cristakke » 03 Oct 2012, 20:45

Hello everybody

I'm total newbie in the custom firmware instalation and bootcode upgrade.
I have ASUS O!Play HD2 with the last original firmware 2.0.5 but I'm very happy.

I want to instal Moservices and I try to understand how to do it.
Actual bootcode is 0001.0203.0026.

Please give me some advices ( links) or stepts to install new custom firmware and where I found the link to download and after that how to install Moservices ?

Please be patient and advice me step by step ( I'm not linux geek )

Thank you in advance
cristakke
cristakke

PreviousNext

Return to About Asus O!Play