ASUS HDP R3 - used as a mini Linux server?

ASUS HDP R3 - used as a mini Linux server?

Postby rich88goldman » 28 Jul 2013, 23:53

Hello,

If I can telnet into the my O!Play Air R3 (BusyBox) as root, why can't I install whatever I need to use it as a server? For example, I want to install a syslog server module there so it runs 24x7 and collect logs from apps on my local network...or I can install an email relay server....or a proxy...anyone done this before?

thanks
O!Play Air HDP-R3, pohd7317
rich88goldman

Re: ASUS HDP R3 - used as a mini Linux server?

Postby bkant » 29 Jul 2013, 01:13

rich88goldman wrote:If I can telnet into the my O!Play Air R3 (BusyBox) as root, why can't I install whatever I need to use it as a server? For example, I want to install a syslog server module there so it runs 24x7 and collect logs from apps on my local network...or I can install an email relay server....or a proxy...anyone done this before?

You're right - you can do a lot of things with this tiny little box (admittedly not as much as with a Raspberry Pi ...). I guess you have seen the "modules" section of the Web UI already, which gives you an overview of the modules available from the moServices repository and ready for one-click installation. Here are some system modules like a Samba daemon or a FTP server.

If you are going to install a lot of modules the limited space on the player will not be sufficient to hold them all and you'll probably run out of RAM memory as well. You'll then have to use an external disk (USB or preferrably eSATA). There are some helper modules for doing that like "Swap on drive" or "moServices on drive".

But there is one more important extension which is not shown there and which probably will allow all those extra features you've mentioned. You can install optware on the media player. Farvoice (kind of moServices mastermind) has made a installation package for that which he has announced in the English language section of this forum just recently. He has linked there to some detailed instructions which unfortunately are available only in Russian. Maybe you can get the gist of it by using Google Translate or maybe you are savvy enough to get along with optware by former own experience.

But again, don't expect too much from this little box - in the end the resources are limited, and running it on heavy load probably will not lead to a satisfying experience. Some users have reported that for instance running bittorrent software is practically killing off other vital functions. If you're running it with several heavy load server services you'll factually won't enjoy a media player anymore ... I would suggest to consider a DSL router or NAS (if available) to take over such 24/7 jobs before loading it on the media player. But of course you can try it out for yourself - would be nice if you report your experiences to this forum.
ASUS O!Play HDP-R3
FW AMP r10 (POHD 7317)
bkant

Re: ASUS HDP R3 - used as a mini Linux server?

Postby rich88goldman » 29 Jul 2013, 05:00

Good inputs, I'll keep in mind the limitation on the capacity of the media player. Thanks!
O!Play Air HDP-R3, pohd7317
rich88goldman

Return to About Asus O!Play