Full duplex on Asus R1?

Full duplex on Asus R1?

Postby HighB@ll » 21 Jul 2012, 10:12

Hi,
I have Asus Oplay R1 running amp_r8_pohd (great FW btw) but I'm having some trouble with network. I think the player is running only half duplex - when I copy files from my computer I get only under 50mbps. How can I check and change the duplex setting on the network card? I searched the forums and found only very technical info in russian forums.
When I copy files between two computers I get 100 mbps so I don't think it's the router or network card on my computer.

I have the following moservices installed:
Samba daemon v3.0.8
Autorun
IR Fake RC
Remote date and time sync
Remount drives
Patched RootApp
Skin selector for HD2 revs
YouTube
System status

Thanks guys
Asus O!pLAY R1
amp_r8_pohd
HighB@ll

Re: Full duplex on Asus R1?

Postby john3voltas » 21 Jul 2012, 15:27

File transfer is usually performed on a single direction, for instance from your computer to your media player.
In such sense, half-duplex is a perfectly normal setting.
If you were also transferring data from your media player to your computer at the same time as the opposite, then full-duplex would be adequate and advisable.
Besides, when you activate full-duplex on the device you also have to do the same on the network switch port that it is connected to and only mid-grade network switches with management can do that.
How many megabytes per second can you transfer from your PC to your media player?
If you are lucky you will be able to transfer between 10MB/s to 12MB/s because that's the limit of 100megabit network connections (100/8=12.5). Full-duplex won't help if you're already maxing out your 100megabit bandwidth.
If your speed is lower than that, make sure you are using network cables on both your computer and on the media player. Wifi is way slower than standard network with network cabling.
Cheers
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby HighB@ll » 21 Jul 2012, 16:34

Tx for the reply, I'm getting only 4-5 MB/s - the network utilization on the PC is just under 50%. The player is hardwired (no wi-fi) and I can hard code the port speed on my switch to 100 Mb full duplex. If I copy files from computer to computer (same wiring, same switch I get close to 100% network utilization - transfer speed around 10 MB/s.
I tried to look up the duplex settings on Asus vie telnet terminal but my knowledge of command line is pretty limited.
to be honest is not a big issue, it just means I have to wait longer to transfer files across, but annoying none the less...
Asus O!pLAY R1
amp_r8_pohd
HighB@ll

Postby john3voltas » 21 Jul 2012, 17:49

Let's face it. You are not transferring to an internal drive.
Are you using a USB hdd or a eSata hdd connected to the HDP-R1?
With the USB hdd you can have bandwidth issues.
USB 2.0 should be able to deliver 480Mbit/s but that's not a permanent value, it can bounce up/down depending on a lot of reasons, a bit like what happens with the Wifi constraints.
But that would mean that your USB hdd is only delivering 40Mbit/s throughput which seems like a very low figure.
Can you test that USB hdd on another device/computer and check it's throughput there? Maybe the disk is having trouble.
Also, the HDP-R1 has 2 USB ports. The eSata port is an up-side-down USB port.
Meaning you can use your USB hdd on that port too: you just need to twist the USB cable to up-side-down position and be gentle when plugging it.
Cheers
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby HighB@ll » 22 Jul 2012, 07:44

Yeah, I understand there are many variables involved and I don't think it has anything to do with the external disk or the network (cabling or switch). I tested all of these independently...

I was simply asking how to check and set full duplex on Asus R1.
Asus O!pLAY R1
amp_r8_pohd
HighB@ll

Postby Virtual » 22 Jul 2012, 08:28

50mbit/sec this restriction SMB for one flow
how to correct? - I do not know
Use the alternative protocols (FTP NFS) nfs - I recommend
марсы: HDS7 (смотрелка AMP скин vrt )
HDR12 AMP (обычно сервер с RAM 256 и 2 SATA диска 2T+)//но очень иногда оцифровка видео
XTR PRO(AMP, HTTP(S) NFS SMB FTP сервер +trans2.90 + 2 SATA диска 2T+
сатурны: XTR Prodigy, R6S(512Mb_NAND), HD900A(_MD*) прошивка
Virtual

Postby HighB@ll » 22 Jul 2012, 15:20

Virtual wrote:50mbit/sec this restriction SMB for one flow
how to correct? - I do not know
Use the alternative protocols (FTP NFS) nfs - I recommend

dude - you on to something. ftp runs lot faster spasibo
Asus O!pLAY R1
amp_r8_pohd
HighB@ll

Postby Virtual » 22 Jul 2012, 18:11

всегда пожалуйста
:roll:
марсы: HDS7 (смотрелка AMP скин vrt )
HDR12 AMP (обычно сервер с RAM 256 и 2 SATA диска 2T+)//но очень иногда оцифровка видео
XTR PRO(AMP, HTTP(S) NFS SMB FTP сервер +trans2.90 + 2 SATA диска 2T+
сатурны: XTR Prodigy, R6S(512Mb_NAND), HD900A(_MD*) прошивка
Virtual

Return to About Asus O!Play