Transcoding in mediatomb

Transcoding in mediatomb

Postby enriquevagu » 22 Sep 2011, 19:37

Hi,

I have an ASUS HD2 with moservices installed, and a drive full of mkv files.

I have recently acquired a sony TV (specifically, kdl-24ex320) which will act as a DLNA renderer, accessing mediatomb through the network and playing the files in the disk. However, as occurs in the PlayStation3, the TV will not play the MKV files; instead, it needs the MP4 or M2TS format for HD files. Typically, this requires a transcoding process in the media server.

I wonder if the mediatomb service in moServices can be configured to transcode these videos on the fly. Since there is no codec conversion between MP4 and MKV (both support the same H.264/AVC codec) it would be only remuxing, not transcoding, so the processor might be able to handle it.

Has anyone tried this before? In such case, how should I change the configuration file?

Thanks in advance!!
enriquevagu

Re: Transcoding in mediatomb

Postby FarVoice » 22 Sep 2011, 20:45

Transcodin on mips 400 Mhz and 128 Mb RAM? Unbelievable :))
ASUS O!Play R1 (amp_r12_vrtn), xTreamer Pro (amp_r12_vrt), xTreamer Prodigy (iNeXT 2.14 r2), IconBIT HDR12L (amp_r12_vrt), 3Q F425HW (xds42gl_7725_r3), MyGica A11 (mygica_m3_20121222)
FarVoice
Администратор

Postby john3voltas » 05 Oct 2011, 22:39

Farvoice, he started out by saying transcoding and ended up saying re-muxing instead.
Muxing itself is not a very demanding process.
It can take quite a while to finish but it only takes a small fraction of the time needed by transcoding.
I'd say it's risky, but I'd say that anyone with nice linux skills could build a small plugin for moServices that would simply remux the mkv (forcing the process to a veeeery low priority, maybe only allowing 15-20% of CPU usage).
Cheers
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby FarVoice » 06 Oct 2011, 00:04

ASUS O!Play R1 (amp_r12_vrtn), xTreamer Pro (amp_r12_vrt), xTreamer Prodigy (iNeXT 2.14 r2), IconBIT HDR12L (amp_r12_vrt), 3Q F425HW (xds42gl_7725_r3), MyGica A11 (mygica_m3_20121222)
FarVoice
Администратор

Postby john3voltas » 06 Oct 2011, 03:42

FarVoice wrote:http://mediatomb.cc/pages/transcoding

Not quite, Farvoice.

enriquevagu wrote:Since there is no codec conversion between MP4 and MKV (both support the same H.264/AVC codec) it would be only remuxing, not transcoding, so the processor might be able to handle it.

User is only asking for remuxing.
That does not involve any encoding nor transcoding.
He is asking for remuxing. Taking video+audio+subs out of the MKV container and muxing it back into an MP4 container.
This usually takes minutes instead of hours, thus, hopefully not too hungry on resources.
You don't even need mediatomb to do that.
Usually people use mkvtoolnix to do the muxing.
This could be worked out in moServices (I'm sure you could do it ;) ).
Cheers
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby enriquevagu » 17 Oct 2011, 19:24

Thanks for your clarifications, john3voltas. You are right, I was asking for remuxing, not transcoding, but the title of the topic was wrong. I don't know if the processor will be able to handle it, but I would like to try it out.

I have checked the tool that you comment (mkvtoolnix), but it seems that there's no binary download for busybox-mipsel, only x86. I don't know if I will be able to build them by myself. Where did you get the binaries for the other packages in moServices? Did you compile them on your own, or get them from some other project? I think I saw some similar programs in the website of some other mediaplayer (Xtreamer, maybe?) but I don't know if the files come from there.

Thanks in advance
enriquevagu

Return to About moServices