Error installing moService

Error installing moService

Postby rich88goldman » 28 Jul 2013, 00:04

Hi,
I'm following installation steps to install moService by USB drive. I downloaded the 2 files and telnet into the box, here's the output:

===============================================
== Installing package of additional services ==
== ----------------------------------------- ==
== Version: 0.4(tested on firmware R3_115P) ==
== ----------------------------------------- ==
== 23/06/10 > FarVoice > farvoice@gmail.com ==
===============================================
Choose an option:
=> (1) - Minimal installation (core and FTP)
=> (2) - Exit
tar: Cannot create directory `etc/mos/': Read-only file system
tar: etc/mos/scripts/rootapp: No such file or directory
/tmp #

I checked the permission on the root:

/ # ls / -lstr
0 drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 dev
60 -rwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 61440 Jul 30 2010 Test.fat
2 drwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 2048 Aug 2 2010 usr
2 drwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 2048 Aug 2 2010 tmp_orig
2 drwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 2048 Aug 2 2010 mnt
2 drwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 2048 May 25 2011 sbin
2 drwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 2048 May 25 2011 lib
2 drwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 2048 May 25 2011 etc
2 drwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 2048 May 25 2011 bin
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jun 2 2011 var -> tmp/
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 2 2011 linuxrc -> bin/bus
0 drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 0 Jul 26 08:55 sys
0 dr-xr-xr-x 74 root root 0 Jul 26 08:55 proc
2 drw-rw-rw- 1 root root 2048 Jul 26 08:55 lost+found
0 drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 0 Jul 26 08:55 tmp

I tried setting the owner to root but no luck:

/ # chown root:root etc
chown: etc: Read-only file system

Please help!

Thanks
Richard.
O!Play Air HDP-R3, pohd7317
rich88goldman

Re: Error installing moService

Postby bkant » 28 Jul 2013, 03:29

You have been trying to install a very outdated version of MoServices. That one is from the stone age of this alternate firmware family, so to say. The current versions are far more functional and don't require complicated manual setup via telnet.

Go to the start page of this thread New line of FW - AMP (r10). In the first post, dismiss the first paragraphs and start reading here: "UPD 13/04/25 Now public release r10".

You have the choice between three different flavors of MoServices, that means, there are three different GUIs which were taken from three different media players: Asus HD2 (that's the file ending with *hd2.zip), AC Ryan PlayOn HD (the file ending *pohd.zip), and Iconbit (ending with *icon.zip). You can dismiss the NoGUI version, it is meant for special purposes.

If you really want you can download all of them and try them one after another. It's mostly a matter of taste which to prefer; as far as I know there is no real functional difference.

Unzip the respective file and you will get a single image file which contains the whole alternate firmware including the most basic MoServices setup. Put that image file on a FAT formatted USB thumbdrive. Plug this drive into your media player. (The next steaps assume that you have an Asus OPlay HDP R1 or OPlay HDP R3 aka OPlay Air. If that's not the case, you'll have to find the location of the reset button by yourself.) Get a paper clip and straighten it up so that you are able to stick it in this little hole at the same side of the media player where the USB plug is. Tha'ts the reset button. With the power cord plugged in and the media player running, now stick the paperclip end into this little hole and push the reset button - keep it pressed down! Now unplug the player, wait for some five seconds and then plug the power cord in again. Only now release the paperclip from the reset button!

On the screen the media player is attached to you will see some messages about the firmware getting installed. Be patient, it may take some minutes. Finally the device will reboot and start up with the new firmware.

Click here and there and most important do the needed config stuff to hook up the player to your local network and thus to the internet. Once you've done that you can reach the player from any other computer (or tablet, smartphone, whatever has a browser) in your local network by just typing the address like this into your browser: http://192.1xx.0xx.1xx/. Of course you have to use the actual IP address of the media player.

Here you can configure some parameters and add more modules to the player. And that's it; no tinkering with telnet or chmodding some files etc. If you want to try another firmware flavor or if you want to go back to the original firmware (which you should have downloaded from Asus anyway), just repeat this procedure as detailed above. Have fun!
ASUS O!Play HDP-R3
FW AMP r10 (POHD 7317)
bkant

Postby john3voltas » 28 Jul 2013, 04:23

bkant wrote:You have the choice between three different flavors of MoServices, that means, there are three different GUIs which were taken from three different media players: Asus HD2 (that's the file ending with *hd2.zip), AC Ryan PlayOn HD (the file ending *pohd.zip), and Iconbit (ending with *icon.zip). You can dismiss the NoGUI version, it is meant for special purposes.

Not exactly. In fact moServices is a set of tools that can either be installed on top of the official firmware or you can get it already installed on AMP modded firmware.
The way you are talking in the quoted paragraph makes other users think that moServices is now AMP which is not true.
But in the end I agree that everyone should be using AMP modded firmware. I don't know any feature that you will miss from the official firmware and instead you get some very cool extra features.
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby bkant » 28 Jul 2013, 22:00

john3voltas wrote:
bkant wrote:You have the choice between three different flavors of MoServices, that means, there are three different GUIs which were taken from three different media players: Asus HD2 (that's the file ending with *hd2.zip), AC Ryan PlayOn HD (the file ending *pohd.zip), and Iconbit (ending with *icon.zip). You can dismiss the NoGUI version, it is meant for special purposes.

Not exactly. In fact moServices is a set of tools that can either be installed on top of the official firmware or you can get it already installed on AMP modded firmware.
The way you are talking in the quoted paragraph makes other users think that moServices is now AMP which is not true.

Yup, that was imprecise. Windows is not DOS, GNU is not Unix ... MoServices is not AMP. It is possible to install MoServices on top of the existing firmware (i.e. without AMP), but I would recommed that only to very experienced users. Maybe we should call the preferred way of installing MoServices as part of an AMP package for instance "AMP feat. MoServices - The Iconbit Remix", just for a change ... ;)
john3voltas wrote:But in the end I agree that everyone should be using AMP modded firmware. I don't know any feature that you will miss from the official firmware and instead you get some very cool extra features.

Agree totally. It should be pointed out to novice users that installing AMP isn't a matter of rocket science. The hard part may come after installation ...
ASUS O!Play HDP-R3
FW AMP r10 (POHD 7317)
bkant

Postby rich88goldman » 28 Jul 2013, 23:46

bkant & john3voltas:

Thanks for all the tips, I upgraded to the new firmware. Now the issue is the web UI is all Russian....any idea to switch to English?

Thanks.
rich88goldman

Postby bkant » 29 Jul 2013, 00:29

rich88goldman wrote:Thanks for all the tips, I upgraded to the new firmware. Now the issue is the web UI is all Russian....any idea to switch to English?

Oh well, yes, forgot abot that - MoServices and AMP are made by Russians and guess what language they chose as default.

Nevermind - you should see a horizontal menu at top center of the page. The first one (leftmost, to be very precise) is "moServices". Click that menu; it should show three items. Click the third one (that should be "Settings"). If you get stuck or whatever else may go wrong you also could try such a link for direct access: http://192.1xx.xxx.xxx/?page=sets (of course you'd have to take the actual IP address of the media player). The first element in the left side box is a dropdown where you can choose the language.
ASUS O!Play HDP-R3
FW AMP r10 (POHD 7317)
bkant

Postby john3voltas » 29 Jul 2013, 02:25

Interesting...
I just installed AMP r10 again and it's all in English.
rich88goldman how did you install AMP? Did you use the reset button procedure or did you use the "upgrade" feature in the TV menu?
Well, I reinstalled iconBIT and he installed POHD. Maybe POHD now defaults to Russian because it used to default to English.
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby rich88goldman » 29 Jul 2013, 04:19

bkant, thanks for the detailed steps, it worked and now I can see all menus in English.

john3voltas, I followed the reset button procedure to reinstall AMP; actually I did it twice, first HD2, then POHD; both times the results are consistent with the instructions.

Thanks again.
rich88goldman

Postby john3voltas » 29 Jul 2013, 18:10

Oooops, sorry, my bad.
I thought you were referring to TV menus in Russian.
Instead you are talking about the web UI menus being in Russian.
As said, my bad, I didn't read your post carefully enough otherwise I would have noticed that you clearly wrote "web UI".
Cheers
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Return to About moServices