Mounting a Windows Share not Working

Mounting a Windows Share not Working

Postby Cybergy » 21 Jun 2012, 01:06

Greetings all,

My apologies if the answer I seek is listed in the forum, but I have not found it.

I am trying mount my Windows Home Server (WHS) share through moServices Mounts. I have tried many different options but I must be missing something. When I restart the mounts I get the error;
"mount: mounting //192.168.1.203/Videos on /tmp/ramfs/volumes/myvids failed: No such device or address" My media server is certainly at the address 192.168.1.203, and the share "Videos" is at the root level of the server so it's not an issue of the path being incomplete.

My Mounts config looks like this;
Mount point
/tmp/ramfs/volumes/myvids
Device(Address)
//192.168.1.203/Videos
Filesystem
cifs
Options
username=usrnm,password=***,iocharset=utf8

Frankly I do not understand if the SAMBA DEMON is required to be running for me to be able to mount a share.

Can anyone help?
Asus OPlay! HDP-R1 (NTSC)
Bootcode 23
SysRev 1.21P
AMP_R8_POHD
Cybergy

Re: Mounting a Windows Share not Working

Postby FarVoice » 21 Jun 2012, 01:49

Nop, samba daemon not required
In amp_r8 try backslashes e.g. \\192.168.1.203\Videos
If you mounting via command prompt you need to use apostrophes '\\192.168.1.203\Videos'
If you use mounts module, apostrophes not required.
ASUS O!Play R1 (amp_r12_vrtn), xTreamer Pro (amp_r12_vrt), xTreamer Prodigy (iNeXT 2.14 r2), IconBIT HDR12L (amp_r12_vrt), 3Q F425HW (xds42gl_7725_r3), MyGica A11 (mygica_m3_20121222)
FarVoice
Администратор

Postby Cybergy » 23 Jun 2012, 18:58

I tried your suggestion and I do not see errors anymore when I restart mounts through moServices. However, I do not see the mount in the A.C. Ryan. interface. I would expect to see it listed under the Files Manager - I think...

**UPDATE**
I was not able to get the mount working using the moServices Mounts daemon, but I did get the mount to work via command line using backslashes and single quotes around the server ip\ShareName (telnet). I created the mount point first using
mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Videos

sample mount
mount -t cifs -o username=****,password=**** '\\192.168.1.203\Videos' /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Videos

PS - Once mounted I do not see great presentation of the movies and my movie sheets in the AC Ryan interface, but I have more reading to do to set that up I suspect.

Thanks FarVoice! :D
Last edited by Cybergy on 23 Jun 2012, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Bootcode 23
SysRev 1.21P
AMP_R8_POHD
Cybergy

Postby FarVoice » 23 Jun 2012, 21:27

Cybergy wrote:I tried your suggestion and I do not see errors anymore when I restart mounts through moServices. However, I do not see the mount in the A.C. Ryan. interface. I would expect to see it listed under the Files Manager - I think...

mount your shares into directory on plugged flash/drive and watch it there :))
ASUS O!Play R1 (amp_r12_vrtn), xTreamer Pro (amp_r12_vrt), xTreamer Prodigy (iNeXT 2.14 r2), IconBIT HDR12L (amp_r12_vrt), 3Q F425HW (xds42gl_7725_r3), MyGica A11 (mygica_m3_20121222)
FarVoice
Администратор

Postby Cybergy » 23 Jun 2012, 21:47

Ok I tried this suggestion to mount to my flash drive I think;

mount -t cifs -o username=***,password=*** '\\192.168.1.203\Videos' /mnt/usbshares/sda1/Videos

ACRyan looks the same I think.
Bootcode 23
SysRev 1.21P
AMP_R8_POHD
Cybergy

Postby jerzyjerzy » 09 Jul 2012, 17:27

FarVoice wrote:mount your shares into directory on plugged flash/drive and watch it there

FaiVoice, this is my first post here, so I would like to thank you for your hard work first. Great thanks!!!

And the question:

I mounted my two Windows shares (My Videos, My Music) into folders (!film, !music) on the USB drive. I created the folders on the USB drive, and then I tried to mount shares with moServices first but it did not work. The data I entered was saved (Mount point, Device, Filesystem, Options), I selected the Mount command, it looked like the point was mounted but its content was still not visible on the player. So I did it with Telnet (using the "mount -t cifs -o username=***,password=***,iocharset=utf8" command), and it worked fine, and the mount content became visible on the player. The thing is, it disappeared after rebooting the O!Play. So, then I added mounting points through the moServices like before, and after that the mounting points became permanent, i.e. the Windows shares are visible in correct locations (!film, !music) after each reboot.

The question is this - is it an expected behaviour? Should it be done this two-step way (Telnet + moServices) or there is a simpler way? Shouldn't it work just through the moServices without Telnet?

Best Regards,
Jerzy
ASUS O!Play R1 + amp_11_HD2
ASUS O!Play R3 + amp_11_ICON
jerzyjerzy

Postby john3voltas » 10 Jul 2012, 03:30

jerzyjerzy wrote:Shouldn't it work just through the moServices without Telnet?

That's the whole idea of mounts module in moServices, so that you don't need to add it through telnet.
Unfortunately, sometimes it is needed to mount to a usb device otherwise the player won't see the mounting point.
That seems to be a Realtek's SDK4 issue if I am not mistaken.
Cheers
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby jerzyjerzy » 10 Jul 2012, 16:23

Oh well, nothing's perfect ;) Thanks!

And for anybody needing help with mounting a Windows share in the future, everything step by step:

With Telnet:

1. I assume you have the O!Play connected to your computer network, you know IP addresses of everything, etc. In my system, Windows computer has an address 192.168.0.101, and O!Play has an address 192.168.0.103, and the USB disk location in the player's file system is /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/. Create the folder on your USB drive connected to O!Play that you will use as a mounting point. I created the folder "!film". To do it, you can use an FTP manager in Windows, or Telnet with mkdir command. The shared film directory in Windows was "My videos".
2. Open Command Prompt in Windows (for example, Start > Run > cmd)
3. Type Telnet command with the IP address of your O!Play (for example, Telnet 192.168.0.103) and press Enter. The Linux prompt will ask for the username. Type root, and press Enter.
4. Type the mount command (for example,
Code: Select all
mount -t cifs -o username=Jerzy,password=1234,iocharset=utf8 '\\192.168.0.101\My videos' /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/!film
) and press Enter. If everything goes right, the Linux prompt will display again without any error message.

In moServices:

1. Open Resources > User mounts
2. Enter values in fields. My examples:
Mount point
/tmp/usbmounts/sda1/!film - this is the location of your mounting point, i.e. the folder on the USB drive where your Windows share content will be displayed.
Device(Address)
\\192.168.0.101\My videos - this is your Windows share address.
Filesystem
cifs
Options
username=Jerzy,password=1234,iocharset=utf8

Press Save.

Since the point has already been mounted with Telnet, the whole new line should be green. If it is not green, click the mounting point link, and select Mount. As john3voltas says, the second method should really work by itself, without Telnet. Try it, use one or both if necessary.

And now a question :roll:

I use amp_r8_hd2, so there are no shortcuts available. When I start the player, it opens on the Home page with the Movies option selected by default. Is there a way to force it to start in the File Manager, or, ideally, inside the USB drive, so I can save like 6 clicks every time I play anything? I do not have a problem with editing configuration files, I just have to know what and how...

Best Regards,
Jerzy
Last edited by jerzyjerzy on 08 Aug 2012, 18:29, edited 5 times in total.
jerzyjerzy

Postby john3voltas » 11 Jul 2012, 05:05

jerzyjerzy wrote:I use amp_r8_hd2, so there are no shortcuts available. When I start the player, it opens on the Home page with the Movies option selected by default. Is there a way to force it to start in the File Manager, or, ideally, inside the USB drive, so I can save like 6 clicks every time I play anything? I do not have a problem with editing configuration files, I just have to know what and how...

Interesting question. I honestly don't know.
ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 (Bootcode 23)
AMP r10 (iconBIT skin)
IPTVList 1.5.0 by Hax
john3voltas

Postby jerzyjerzy » 08 Aug 2012, 18:42

jerzyjerzy wrote:When I start the player, it opens on the Home page with the Movies option selected by default. Is there a way to force it to start in the File Manager, or, ideally, inside the USB drive, so I can save like 6 clicks every time I play anything? I do not have a problem with editing configuration files, I just have to know what and how...

FYI, I used the most primitive way of solving it - I just programmed keypresses on my Harmony remote I use to operate the system. So last commands are (left, left, left, OK, wait 1 second, OK). It is not elegant but it works - it opens the USB drive in the File Manager at startup.

Still, if anybody knows a better solution, please post it, I will appreciate it.

Jerzy
jerzyjerzy

Next

Return to About moServices